- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 4, 2015

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - A man who says he was hurt when a camera cable snapped during the 2013 Coca-Cola 600 has sued Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord and Fox Sports.

Patrick Carpenter sued in Randolph County last week. Carpenter’s lawsuit says he suffered permanent damage to his right arm when the overhead cable fell into the strands, The Charlotte Observer (https://bit.ly/1DEYzJt) reported. Carpenter said his right arm and shoulder were scarred by the cable.

Neither the speedway nor the network would talk about the lawsuit.

Carpenter’s lawsuit accuses the network and the speedway of negligence for not better protecting spectators. His lawsuit seeks more than $10,000 in damages.

About 10 people were hurt when the cable snapped during the race May 26, 2013. The cable was snagged by 19 passing race cars and whipsawed through the stands.

Fox stopped using the camera rig and conducted an investigation. Fox spokesman Lou D’Ermilio said the results of its investigation are not being released because of litigation.


Information from: The Charlotte Observer, https://www.charlotteobserver.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide