- Associated Press - Monday, January 12, 2015

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Portland Fire and Rescue says a fire at a Portland State University residence hall was started by a candle left burning in a kitchen.

The fire early Sunday forced students to evacuate the Goose Hollow Residence Hall.

KPTV reports (https://bit.ly/1FLi1JU ) the sprinkler system prevented the fire from spreading beyond an 11th-floor apartment until firefighters arrived at the 16-story building.

The resident of the apartment was sleeping but heard the fire alarm and safely escaped.

Building management found temporary housing for residents of some apartments that were damaged by smoke and water.


Information from: KPTV-TV, https://www.kptv.com/

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide