- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 13, 2015

SPARKS, Nev. (AP) - Washoe County school officials have confirmed an electronic cigarette was to blame for a small explosion that forced the partial evacuation of Sparks High School.

Principal Kevin Carroll says school officials called police about 10:15 a.m. Monday after a teacher saw fire spark in the school gym.

No one was hurt, but about 150 students were evacuated from inside the gym and a code yellow lockdown was ordered for about 90 minutes.

School district spokeswoman Victoria Campbell told the Reno Gazette-Journal (https://tinyurl.com/kmavh2w) two students were “messing with the e-cigarette.” She says investigators determined the two did not intend to spark a fire and no charges have been filed.


Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, https://www.rgj.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide