- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 13, 2015

BECKLEY, W.Va. (AP) - A Beckley fire official says a furnace is the suspected cause of a carbon monoxide leak that sickened eight people at a bank.

Media outlets report that the United Bank building on Main Street was evacuated on Monday after the bank employees became ill.

Beckley Fire Department Lt. Stuart Scott says firefighters detected unsafe levels of carbon monoxide in the building.

He says the building could remain closed for several days.

The bank operates several other branches in the Beckley area.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide