- Associated Press - Thursday, January 15, 2015

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) - Fayetteville-area officials are concerned about plans by some Raleigh-area communities to take more water out of the Cape Fear River basin.

The Fayetteville Observer reported (https://bit.ly/1Cq2wkT) the chairman of the Fayetteville Public Works Commission is drumming up support for a resolution opposing the water withdrawal plans.

Chairman Mike Lallier says he hopes Fayetteville City Council and the Cumberland County Board of Commissioners will approve the resolution against the withdrawal. State officials have set a Feb. 5 deadline to submit comments on the proposal.

The newspaper reported that Wake County and Apex, Morrisville and Cary have submitted a plan to take 27 percent more water from the Cape Fear River basin.

A state hydrological report said the additional 9 million gallons taken from the river would not hurt downstream communities such as Fayetteville.



Officials in the Fayetteville area are not so sure.

“I think this is probably one of the biggest threats to our community, for them to transfer this water out of the basin,” said Glenn Adams, a Cumberland County commissioner.

The North Carolina Environmental Management Commission is expected to make a decision on the request this spring.

The North Carolina Division of Water Resources has scheduled a public hearing for next week at Fayetteville’s City Hall, following a similar meeting in Apex last week.

___

Information from: The Fayetteville Observer, https://www.fayobserver.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide