- The Washington Times - Monday, January 19, 2015

Gunmaker PARA USA says it regrets providing firearms for the movie “Taken 3” and has called for an industry boycott against actor Liam Neeson after he slammed private gun ownership in America.

In a statement posted on its Facebook page Saturday, PARA said it “regrets its decision to provide firearms for use in the film ‘Taken 3.’”

It comes after Mr. Neeson, while speaking at a press conference last week in Dubai to promote his gun-rich vigilante film, called gun ownership in America a “f–ing disgrace.”

PARA said that while “Taken 3” is entertaining, “comments made by its Irish-born star during press junkets reflect a cultural and factual ignorance that undermines support of the Second Amendment and American liberties.

“We will no longer provide firearms for use in films starring Liam Neeson and ask that our friends and partners in Hollywood refrain from associating our brand and products with his projects,” the company said. “Further, we encourage our partners and friends in the firearms industry to do the same.”

Mr. Neeson has taken heavy fire from Second Amendment groups since his comments last week. His critics accuse him of being a hypocrite for slamming gun ownership, while also promoting their use in his films.

The actor defends his role as Bryan Mills in the “Taken” trilogy as just fantasy.

“A character like Bryan Mills going out with guns and taking revenge: it’s fantasy. It’s in the movies, you know?” he said last week. “I think it can give people a great release from stresses in life and all the rest of it, you know what I mean? It doesn’t mean they’re all going to go out and go, ‘Yeah, let’s get a gun!’”


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide