- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 20, 2015

BRISTOW, Okla. (AP) - An Oklahoma woman originally charged with first-degree murder in the 1992 deaths of two women and a girl whose bodies were found in a septic pit pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced charges.

Beverly Noe, 67, was sentenced to 15 years in prison after entering the plea to being an accessory to first-degree murder in the deaths, which prosecutors said stemmed from a custody dispute over Noe’s grandson. Noe covered her face with her handcuffed hands as she was taken into custody at Creek County District Court in Bristow.

“Get away from me. Get out of here,” she yelled at reporters while being led down a hallway.

Prosecutor Max Cook said the age of the case and issues with witness availability factored into the decision to offer the plea deal, which he called the best resolution for the victims’ families.

“It’s an old case and they’ve been wanting to know what happened for a long time, and we finally got there,” Cook said.

Noe previously pleaded not guilty to three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 23-year-old Wendy Camp; Camp’s 6-year-old daughter, Cynthia Britto; and Camp’s 22-year-old sister-in-law, Lisa Kregear.

Camp’s sister Aisha Hashmi, who was among several family members in the courtroom Tuesday, wept as Noe was sentenced.

“I just wanted justice and now I have what I wanted,” Hashmi said afterward.

Camp had been married to Noe’s son and prosecutors have said Noe feared Camp planned to take away the former couple’s son. Camp, her daughter and sister-in-law had traveled from Oklahoma City on May 29, 1992, to visit the boy, who was with his father.

After the three disappeared, Beverly Noe acknowledged being the last person to see them alive. She told investigators she dropped them off at a Wal-Mart in Chandler after getting into a fight with Camp.

The bodies were found in 2013 after Noe’s brother, Grover Prewitt Jr., directed authorities to a property he and his mother owned at the time.

Court documents show Prewitt told investigators he dug the hole for a septic tank, but after the two women and the girl disappeared his mother asked him to fill in the hole and sprinkle the ground with pepper to cover up any odor.

Prewitt’s mother died in 2011. He is charged as an accessory and has pleaded not guilty in the case.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide