- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 20, 2015

HAMILTON, Mont. (AP) - A man who was being sought on suspicion of rape and resisting arrest in Powell County and is considered a fugitive from justice in New Jersey has been charged in a weekend standoff in western Montana.

Darren Taylor Walp made an initial appearance in Justice Court in Hamilton on Tuesday on a felony criminal endangerment charge, Deputy Ravalli County Attorney Angela Wetzsteon said.

Justice of the Peace Jennifer Ray set his bond at $250,000 on the Powell County warrant, $500,000 on the Ravalli County charges and set no bond on the New Jersey charge.

Walp did not enter any pleas and was appointed a public defender.

Walp, 34, was arrested early Sunday in Hamilton after a 20-hour standoff. Police Chief Ryan Oster said Walp told officers he had a handgun and was going to force a confrontation. Officers say he was not armed.

Powell County Sheriff Scott Howard told The Associated Press that he had arrested Walp near Garrison on suspicion of sexual intercourse without consent for an assault that was reported on Jan. 11, but that Walp fled before he could be handcuffed.

Howard said Walp apparently was able to get a ride into the Salmon, Idaho, area. He then traveled to Hamilton and had called for a cab to give him a ride to the bus station in Missoula when officers received a tip to his location.

“Our officer talked with the cab people, and they worked out a deal to allow one of our officers to drive the cab over to get him,” Oster said.

Walp was outside waiting for the cab when something caused him to run back into the house, Oster said.

“I think he may have seen a patrol car,” Oster said.

After about 20 hours of negotiations, Walp surrendered at 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

Walp, who was identified as being from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania, pleaded guilty in September to two counts of fourth degree bias intimidation in New Jersey.

Prosecutors in Camden County, New Jersey, said in June 2013, while attending a Toby Keith concert, Walp climbed a fence into a nearby housing complex, waved a Confederate flag and shouted racial slurs at residents.

In August 2013, he was charged with yelling racial slurs at the driver of a vehicle stopped behind him at a traffic light, also in Camden.

He was sentenced in December to five years on probation, 50 hours of community service and fined $290, Camden County officials said.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide