- Associated Press - Monday, January 26, 2015

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) - A family dog is being credited with waking up family members after a fire broke out in their Fairbanks home.

The fire began in the chimney of the Executive Estates home Sunday morning while the family slept, the Fairbanks Daily News Miner (https://is.gd/vEPKdp) reported.

No injuries were reported in the Jefferson Road fire.

The dog alerted family members by barking. Family members smelled burning when they woke up and discovered a glow coming from their stove’s chimney.

The family called 911. Family members then ran outside, where it was 25 degrees below zero.

Fire officials said the fire originated in the attic and spread throughout much of the roof. The fire was contained after about 30 minutes.

Firefighters remained at the scene for several hours, removing smoldering insulation.

Fairbanks assistant fire chief Ernie Misewicz said the blaze caused damage to almost half of the roof. Misewicz said the roof will need to be replaced.

The family is staying with relatives, according to city officials.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

___

Information from: Fairbanks (Alaska) Daily News-Miner, https://www.newsminer.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide