- Associated Press - Monday, January 26, 2015

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. (AP) - If the lights go out during the storm, the Massachusetts fire marshal says people should take care not to make a bad situation worse.

Stephen Coan said Monday that alternative forms of lighting and cooking during power outages can lead to fires or carbon monoxide exposure.

Coan urged residents to check their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working, and also charge cellphones and other electronic devices before the brunt of the storm hits.

He says generators should never be operated inside a home or a garage.

If the snowfall is deep enough, Coan says some homeowners may need to go outside and clear heating exhaust ducts of snow, since some exhaust pipes are only 2 to 2 1/2 feet above ground.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide