- Associated Press - Wednesday, January 28, 2015

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - New Hampshire was getting back to normal Wednesday following a major winter storm that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in southern parts of the state, shutting down government and closing schools. Many people stayed off the roads, allowing plow trucks to clear them, though forecasters said to expect at least one more round of snow in the next week.

Here’s a look at the state Wednesday:



Gov. Maggie Hassan has declared New Hampshire’s state of emergency over. She issued the declaration on Monday, a day before the storm reached blizzard conditions along the Seacoast and in southeastern New Hampshire. She did not issue a travel ban. A number of schools reopened on a delayed schedule, but some in the southern part of the state remained closed.



The National Weather Service says Nashua received the most snow, at 33.2 inches. City Emergency Management Director Justin Kates said the most significant challenge Wednesday was cleaning up areas around schools, which remained closed for a second day. Another goal was removing massive amounts of snow from the downtown area. Other communities that got a lot of snow were Seabrook and Hudson at 32 inches, Hampton and Salem at 31 inches, and Exeter at 30.5 inches.



Manchester-Boston Regional Airport reopened after shutting down Tuesday for the first time in more than 25 years. A number of flights were still canceled Wednesday morning, including arrivals from Philadelphia, Washington and Charlotte. A number of afternoon and evening departures were scheduled to leave on time. Amtrak says limited service resumed Wednesday between Boston and New York as storm conditions ease.



State Safety Department officials are urging residents to wear bright colors as they dig out from the storm and watch children playing in the snow. It was bright and sunny Wednesday, but road crews still may not see around and over snowbanks. One person clearing snow in Manchester struck by a vehicle and severely injured Tuesday. The Department of Transportation is monitoring drifting snow as it maintains roads.



The National Weather Service says another system will approach the area by Friday morning, spreading several inches of snow across the region through the day. Another storm is expected Monday that may bring higher amounts of snow.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide