- Associated Press - Thursday, January 8, 2015

WALLA WALLA, Wash. (AP) - Authorities say a 3 year-old girl has died and her 2-year-old brother is hospitalized after a Walla Walla house fire. A radiant space heater caught blankets on fire in a room where two small children were sleeping.

Walla Walla County Coroner Richard Greenwood said Thursday the girl died of asphyxiation due to smoke inhalation from Wednesday’s fire. He told the Union-Bulletin her younger brother was taken to a Spokane hospital.

Police had to help trace an incomplete emergency call from a cell phone Wednesday night, and by the time they arrived the occupants had left. There was light smoke in the home.

The parents had taken the two children as well as an infant to Providence St. Mary’s Medical Center in Walla Walla. The infant had been sleeping in the parents’ room.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide