- Associated Press - Thursday, January 8, 2015

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Reno officials agreed to kick in more money to ensure the U.S. Bowling Congress continues to hold one of its biggest national tournaments in town.

The Reno City Council and the Reno-Sparks Convention & Visitors Authority board of directors both voted Wednesday to pay the higher fees that the Bowling Congress says it needs to bring the 2016 Open Tournament to Reno.

The four-month-long event attracts thousands of bowlers and millions of dollars to the Reno-Sparks area.

The tourism authority plans to raise the fee it pays the Bowling Congress from $20 to $30 per bowler to give over $500,000 more to the bowling group. The fee increase brings Reno closer to levels paid by other markets for national bowling events.

Chris Baum, the authority’s executive director and CEO, expects the Bowling Congress to accept the plan. The bowling group’s board is expected to review the proposal at a meeting later this week in San Antonio as part of a long-term contract that would bring the tournament to Reno every three years through 2026.

“We don’t anticipate any problems with the USBC board,” Baum told the Reno Gazette-Journal (https://tinyurl.com/mya75be ). “We have no reason to believe this can’t go forward.”

This year’s Open Tournament is being held in El Paso, Texas, and Las Vegas is scheduled to host the 2017 event.

The deal needed City Council approval because Reno owns the National Bowling Stadium downtown where the tournaments are held.

As part of the deal, the per-bowler fee increase paid by the tourism authority will include more money from the region’s nine major hotels: Silver Legacy, Harrah’s, Sands, Eldorado and Circus Circus in downtown; Grand Sierra Resort east of downtown; Peppermill and Atlantis in south Reno; and John Ascuaga’s Nugget in Sparks.

In October, several hotels had objected to a proposal to expand the existing downtown Reno $2 room surcharge to the entire region to cover the estimated $575,000 needed for the fee increase. But last month, the properties’ operators agreed behind closed doors to assist for the short term.

___

Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, https://www.rgj.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide