- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 14, 2015

HERMON, Maine (AP) - Investigators say a fire that claimed the life of a 9-year-old boy in Hermon, Maine, was caused by a child cooking in the kitchen while the parents were away.

Steve McCausland from the Maine Department of Public Safety said Tuesday that a pizza box was ignited by one of the stove’s burners. He said the July 7 fire was ruled accidental.

Killed in the blaze was Wyatt Parker of Levant, who was spending the night with two cousins.

Officials say 10-year-old Ashlyn Parker suffered from smoke inhalation and another cousin escaped unharmed to summon help from a passing motorist.

The fire broke out while the parents were running errands. Investigators could not find a working smoke detector but the 10-year-old survivor says she heard one.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide