- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 14, 2015

MINOT, N.D. (AP) - A Kenmare woman accused of murder and neglect in the death of her 13-year-old son who weighed just 21 pounds wants any trial in the case held outside of Minot.

Jessica Jensen, 36, pleaded guilty in April in an agreement with prosecutors that called for her to spend 16 years in prison, but North Central District Judge Gary Lee last week said he couldn’t accept the terms and rejected the deal.

Defense attorney Tyler Morrow has now filed motions asking for a change of venue and to suppress some evidence in the case. Lee on Monday gave prosecutor Kelly Dillon about two weeks to respond to the motions in writing and set another hearing for Sept. 4.

It’s not clear whether Jensen will go to trial. She has the option of having her attorney renegotiate with the state. However, Morrow said he has been in discussions with prosecutors and “at this point in time it’s not something I would feel comfortable going forward with.”

Jensen was charged last year after the state medical examiner concluded her son died from chronic starvation due to untreated juvenile appetite disorder. His death was ruled a homicide.



Jensen told investigators that her son had a hormonal growth problem and that his pituitary gland did not function properly, according to court documents. She also said her son would eat and then vomit and that he had not seen a doctor for several years.

Dillon has said Jensen didn’t appear to intentionally cause her son to die.

The murder charge against Jensen carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide