- Associated Press - Monday, July 20, 2015

HOULTON, Maine (AP) - A gunman charged with killing two men in separate shootings and kidnapping a woman who had managed to escape from him through a bathroom window confessed to the killings, state police said.

A state police affidavit providing details of the shooting rampage was made public Monday as Anthony Lord appeared before a judge via video from jail. The 35-year-old Lord entered no plea to murder and kidnapping charges, and his attorney requested a mental health evaluation.

The shootings Friday in several northern Maine communities left 58-year-old Kevin Tozier and 22-year-old Kyle Hewitt dead. Both died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Lord kidnapped Hewitt’s girlfriend, 22-year-old Brittany Irish, and shot and wounded her 55-year-old mother, Kim Irish, at a home in Benedicta hours after someone set fire to a barn, police said.

According to the affidavit, Brittany Irish escaped through a bathroom window, flagged down a pickup truck and jumped in the back before Lord opened fire and kidnapped her. The truck driver was shot through the window but survived.

Brittany Irish was with Lord when he was arrested without incident Friday afternoon at his uncle’s home in Houlton, police said. The affidavit said Lord told detectives he believed he shot five people, including three who survived.

The uncle, Carl Lord, disputed the idea that Brittany Irish had been kidnapped, saying that the two were affectionate toward each other at his home and he thought they were dating.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide