- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 22, 2015

LAUREL, Miss. (AP) - A fire official says a Jones County man is lucky to be alive after his house started burning while he was sleeping.

County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna tells WDAM-TV (https://bit.ly/1LrL0o2 ) that he is surprised Keith Shirley made it out alive from the Sunday morning blaze outside of Laurel.

Shirley says he was sleeping on the couch, in a home without smoke detectors, when he awoke to smoke filling the room. After initially being deemed critically injured, Shirley was treated for smoke and carbon monoxide inhalation and released from a Jackson hospital Tuesday.

Shirley was the only person in the house, as his wife and two children were out of town.

Shirley says the fire started from an electrical box in the back of the house and spread through the property.


Information from: WDAM-TV, https://www.wdam.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide