By Associated Press - Saturday, July 25, 2015

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A firefighter who was burned on the hands and face after dozens of fireworks accidentally set off in a rural Utah fire station is out of the hospital.

The Deseret News reports (https://bit.ly/1MqQBu1) that University of Utah Hospital spokeswoman Marissa Villasenor says Austin Winkle was released at 2 p.m. Friday.

Authorities say a 12-year-old boy who was also injured by the fireworks is back home after being treated for low oxygen levels.

Winkle was helping to prepare fireworks at the Marysvale station Thursday afternoon when the mortars went off.

Piute County Sheriff Marty Gleave says investigators believe static electricity is what caused a firework to go off, igniting 70 other fireworks.



But Gleave says being sure about the cause is difficult because the incident is so unique.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide