- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28—At least two people were killed and seven injured during violent incidents in Philadelphia from Sunday into Monday, according to police.

The bloodshed — in the form of shootings, stabbings, and a fatal hit-and-run — marks the continuation of a rough midsummer stretch in the city: There were 28 homicides between mid-June and mid-July, up from 18 the month before, according to the most recently available police statistics.

Robberies and assaults involving guns were also up, the numbers showed.

The city’s murder total through Sunday was 146, the highest through nearly seven months since 2012, according to police statistics.

Police said Sunday’s violence began around 12:30 a.m. in West Oak Lane, when Stephen Burton, 41, stabbed his wife, Danecia Berrian, and their infant daughter in their home, on the 1900 block of Dallas Street.

Burton then fled to Maryland, where he was arrested Sunday night, police said. He was scheduled to have a court hearing there Tuesday to face charges of being a fugitive, police said.

A spokesman for the Philadelphia School District said Berrian taught at Rowen Elementary School in West Oak Lane.

Hospital officials said Monday that Berrian’s family had requested that her condition be kept private. On Sunday, police said she and her daughter were in critical condition.

A few hours after Berrian’s stabbing, there was an unrelated double stabbing on the 7100 block of Ditman Street in Tacony, police said.

Fatal shooting

According to police, around 3:44 a.m., a 30-year-old man was stabbed in the back, and another man, believed to be between 25 and 30, was stabbed in the head, neck, and face.

No arrests have been made, police said, and authorities did not identify either victim. Both men were in critical condition at area hospitals, police said.

At 4:56 a.m. about a mile away, on the 4700 block of Oakmont Street in Holmesburg, a 32-year-old man was shot in his home and injured after two unknown attackers kicked in his back door, police said.

The assailants fled after the shooting, police said, and the victim was taken to Aria Health-Torresdale Campus, where he was in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the left shoulder, police said.

Later Sunday, around 8:38 p.m., a 40-year-old man was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound to the stomach in the living room of a house on the 2000 block of East Cambria Street in Kensington. The victim, whom police did not identify, was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead 15 minutes later, police said.

The alleged shooter, whom police did not identify, had remained at the scene and surrendered to the responding officers, police said.

Sunday’s violence continued with a fatal hit-and-run in Juniata Park at around 10:40 p.m., when police say a man driving a 2008 Mitsubishi SUV struck a 1991 Mazda sedan carrying two adult brothers, Francis Arroyo and Osvaldo Arroyo.

Francis Arroyo, the passenger, was killed in the crash, police said. Osvaldo Arroyo, who was driving, suffered minor injuries.

Vehicle’s owner sought

Capt. John Wilczynski, of the Accident Investigation District, said Monday that police were still searching for Alberto Vangas, the Mitsubishi’s registered owner.

Investigators were uncertain whether Vangas was behind the wheel at the time of the crash, Wilczynski said, but they say they believe that even if he was not, he would know who would have been using his car.

A 911 caller followed the Mitsubishi for a few blocks after it fled the crash, Wilczynski said, but the caller could not identify the driver or say where he went.

Wilczynski said he believed the Arroyos’ car may have been making a U-turn when the crash happened, but he said investigators were still piecing together factors that could help explain the accident, such as speeding, cellphone use, or intoxication.

Still, Wilczynski said, fleeing any accident site is a mistake.

The violent wave culminated early Monday morning, when an 18-year-old male whom police did not identify was shot in the buttocks on the 400 block of West Norris Street, in Kensington.

He was listed in stable condition at Temple University Hospital, police said.

No arrests were made.

[email protected]

609-217-8305 @cs_palmer

Inquirer staff writer Martha Woodall contributed to this article.


(c)2015 The Philadelphia Inquirer

Visit The Philadelphia Inquirer at www.philly.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


Topics: t000002458,t000027866,t000027879

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide