- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28—NEW SWEDEN, Maine — A 7-year-old boy who went missing Monday night was found safe Tuesday morning.

Multiple state agencies and volunteers were in northern Maine overnight looking the boy, whose first name is Tait. His last name was unavailable as of early Tuesday afternoon.

Tait went missing Monday evening after he went out to look for the family dog. He was reported missing at 8 p.m., and searchers had used dogs and infrared heat-reading equipment to look for the boy overnight.

According to Richard Bowie, director of Down East Emergency Medical Institute, a search and rescue organization out of Orono, the boy found a road and flagged down a car Tuesday morning at about 6:11.

Justin Falloon, a team leader for Down East Emergency Medical Institute, said the boy was in good spirits when he arrived home.

“He’s a farm kid. He knows the woods well,” Falloon, said. He said it helped that the boy was wearing rubber boots to keep his feet dry.

In a Facebook post, the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office said that when boy realized he was lost, “He sat down and waited for daylight. He is a County boy for sure.”

Falloon said the passing driver recognized Tait, but the boy didn’t recognize the driver. When the driver first offered to drive the boy home, Tait allegedly told him, “No thanks, I’d rather walk back.”

Bowie described Tait as “self-rescued” and praised the boy’s good instincts. “He had the initiative to walk out and see the vehicle.”

Falloon said the dog was found safe independently of the boy.


(c)2015 the Bangor Daily News (Bangor, Maine)

Visit the Bangor Daily News (Bangor, Maine) at www.bangordailynews.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide