- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 28, 2015

WASHINGTON (AP) - A report blames human error and technology issues for delays in getting Washington paramedics to a toddler who was choking and eventually died.

The report, by D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department and released Tuesday, also found that a fire lieutenant did not tell the 911 center that a technical and software error prevented the center from recognizing the nearest paramedic unit to the child’s home.

Information on the lieutenant’s conduct will be given to an internal board.

Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered the review after the incident on March 13. After a call for an 18-month-old boy choking on grapes, the nearest available paramedic wasn’t sent. According to the report, the call was received at 8:36 a.m., and paramedics arrived at 8:47 a.m.

The boy died five days later.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide