- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28—We did it. After about a three month process, we have finally moved into our new house. There were times I thought it might not happen, but after signing my name to the last line, it was finally ours.

The house we moved to was one I had always liked in town. It is on large lot with several acres of land in town with a creek running along the south property line. My neighbors are the golf course and a corn field — it really can’t get any better.

I grew up in a large house with a large lot that didn’t have neighbors I could touch if I reached out my window. I always wanted something similar when I was “grown up” and had my own family.

The house went on the market last fall, and we were quick to check it out. We weren’t quite in the position to buy it and just crossed our fingers that it wouldn’t sell before we would be ready to buy it. Fall went by, we celebrated Christmas and watched as the leaves began to turn green again. I’m not sure what prompted us to give the homeowner a call, but one April day, on a whim, we asked if the house was still available.

That call set in motion what would result in us buying the house. We met with the homeowner once again and expressed our sincere interest in her home. The land is beautiful — it is the perfect size with a bedroom for each of my girls and extra space in the basement for my crafts. It even has an extra garage for whatever my husband wants to do.

After somewhat formally agreeing to buy the house, we immediately placed a for sale sign at our current home. That day, we received several calls and set up a couple of showings for the house. In a short two weeks, we had made a deal and the house was off the market.

Although our “yellow house,” as my girls call it, could be a real pain with steep basement stairs to the downstairs laundry and not quite enough space, I still love it. It was the perfect house for us moving from Pleasant Hill, and it put us in the position to be able to buy our dream home only a couple of years later.

So after months of dealing with the bank and the lawyers and almost pulling my hair out — just ask my co-workers — everything was done. We received a bag of keys and were given the final tour of the ins and outs of the house.

We closed on a Wednesday, which gave us a couple of days to paint the girls’ rooms before we moved everything in on Saturday. I can’t thank everyone enough for the help we received moving. It made the process go so much faster than I had expected, yet I hope to never move another box until my girls head off to college.

I can’t say I’m quick to unpack everything, because we didn’t unpack after moving from our last house. Meanwhile, my mom decided everything from my childhood needed to come to the new house as well.

We have the kitchen set up, and the girls are good to go and now it will just be a few boxes at a time as we settle in to our “forever home.”

Contact Jamee A. Pierson at 641-792-3121 ext. 6534 or [email protected]


(c)2015 the Newton Daily News (Newton, Iowa)

Visit the Newton Daily News (Newton, Iowa) at www.newtondailynews.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


Topics: g000065682,g000362661,g000066164

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide