- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 28, 2015

July 28—Portland Police Chief Michael Sauschuck said Tuesday all suspects in the killing of Treyjon Arsenault in the Old Port in May are now in police custody.

“We believe the two individuals responsible for the shooting” are in custody, Sauschuck said at a news conference Tuesday morning.

The announcement comes in the wake of the arrest of Gang Deng Majok, 30, of Portland, at his girlfriend’s home in Saco Monday. Majok is charged with murder and elevated aggravated assault and is being held without bail at the Cumberland County Jail in Portland. He is expected to be arraigned on those charges Wednesday in Cumberland County Unified Criminal Court.

Johnny Ouch, 20, of Westbrook was arrested on murder and assault charges July 16. He is also being held in the Cumberland County Jail without bail.

Police did not release details of the confrontation that led up to the shooting of Arsenault, 19, and a 20-year-old Portland man, who police have not identified. The shooting occurred at Da Block Studios, at 371 Fore St. in Portland, shortly before midnight on May 25, Memorial Day.

Sauschuck said that Arsenault was not involved in the argument that led to the fatal shooting.

Nancy Laxson, Arsenault mother, praised the efforts of the Portland Police in arresting the two men allegedly responsible for killing her son. She held a news conference Tuesday afternoon, bringing with her a large, framed photo of her son.

Standing beside her mother, Flo Hutchins, Laxson, of Scarborough, said even if the arrests do not bring closure to her and her family, it will allow the criminal justice system to start the process to bringing the two men to trial.

“I don’t know why his life was taken so early, but it was, and now it’s time to let justice come help our family,” said Laxson, in tears.

Arsenault was shot multiple times in the abdomen. Police have said he was among seven to 11 people at the rap recording studio on the building’s third floor when the shooting broke out, and that at least two people were seen running from the scene.

Majok, who was arrested without incident Monday, has been a suspect since early in the investigation, Sauschuck said.

Portland police haven’t revealed a motive in the shootings, and Sauschuck would not elaborate on the investigation.

Laxson said she still has many questions about the incident that took her son’s life.

“He was running and that’s when he was shot several times,” she said. “I don’t know why.”

This story will be updated.


(c)2015 the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine)

Visit the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine) at www.pressherald.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


Topics: t000002458,t000027866,t000149877,t000027879,g000135947,g000362661,g000065601,g000225320,g000224188,g000066164

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide