- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 29, 2015

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - A health official says flesh-eating bacteria contributed to the death of a Virginia man.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch (https://bit.ly/1fEG4OU) reports 75-year-old Charles Horner of Mechanicville died last week after a leg cut he sustained from a catfish spine in the Rappahannock River became infected.

Chickahominy Health District director Thomas Franck says Horner is the first death reported in Virginia this year from vibrio vulnificus.

The bacteria occur naturally in warm coastal waters, especially in the summer months.

___

Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, https://www.timesdispatch.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide