- Associated Press - Thursday, July 9, 2015

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - A Louisville fire official says he’s certain an accident led to a blaze that heavily damaged three buildings in the city’s historic Whiskey Row this week.

Maj. Henry Ott told The Courier-Journal (https://cjky.it/1JX5rWR ) that a spark from an acetylene torch is the fire’s apparent cause. Ott says contract workers were using the torch and a spark dropped, igniting wood and other materials. Ott says combustibles apparently smoldered and caught fire after workers left Monday.

He said a second possibility is a spark from a grinder being used by work crews.

The owner of the buildings is bringing in structural engineers next week to determine whether the buildings can still be redeveloped. The plan was for a mix of apartments, offices, restaurants and other commercial uses.

___

Information from: The Courier-Journal, https://www.courier-journal.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide