- Associated Press - Thursday, July 9, 2015

LUMBERTON, Miss. (AP) - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has given the town of Lumberton $2.5 million for water system improvements.

Mayor Ben Winston’s job is to decide how the city will pay its portion of the money.

“Our water lines, that’s where our major problems are,” Winston told WDAM-TV in Laurel (https://bit.ly/1NR8UqJ ). “We’re losing 40 percent of the water we’re producing, so in other words, we got money flying out the window.”

The Corps’ grant will pay 75 percent of the project’s total cost. Lumberton must supply the other 25 percent, or around $625,000.

Winston said Wednesday the city has been approved by the Mississippi Development Authority to apply for Capital Improvements Revolving Loan Program (CAP) for up to $600,000.

While the loan is an option, Winston is hoping to use separate grant money Lumberton already has as the matching fund.

Winston said the city currently has a $450,000 grant to be used for sewage improvement projects that he hopes to use as part of the matching fund.

“If we can get this Corps of Engineers grant kicked off by the end of September, we’re going to be able to use that $450,000 against our portion on that 25 percent match,” he said.

Winston said the city has also applied for another $150,000 grant that he hopes to use as matching funds as well.

___

Information from: WDAM-TV, https://www.wdam.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide