- Associated Press - Thursday, July 9, 2015

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - A 13-year-old Fort Lauderdale boy is recovering at a hospital after a firework exploded in his hand.

The boy’s family members told local television stations that Javonte McNair lost his entire hand in the fireworks accident on Wednesday afternoon.

Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue Deputy Chief Timothy Heiser says the child was taken to Broward Health Medical Center. He says witnesses gave conflicting accounts of what happened.

He says the city’s fire marshal’s office is investigating.

McNair is one of three children reported injured by fireworks in Broward County this week. On Sunday, a 5-year-old girl received second-degree burns in a fireworks-related incident. And on Monday, a 14-year-old girl was seriously injured when a firework exploded in her hand.

Heiser says it’s important to keep children away from fireworks.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide