- Associated Press - Monday, June 1, 2015

ROME (AP) - Italy coach Antonio Conte wants to extend his contract for two more years and coach the Azzurri through to the 2018 World Cup.

Italian football federation president Carlo Tavecchio says Conte made the request recently. But Tavecchio says he can’t make any move until he knows whether he’ll be re-elected.

Tavecchio says “it’s something we’ll see about later on.”

Conte’s contract is due to expire after next year’s European Championship.

Italy is unbeaten with a record of five wins and three draws since Conte replaced Cesare Prandelli after last year’s World Cup.

Conte’s status also depends on the match-fixing case led by prosecutors on Cremona. He is being investigated for committing sports fraud when he coached Siena in 2010-11.

If he is indicted, Conte could lose his job.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide