- Associated Press - Sunday, June 14, 2015

SEATTLE (AP) - Lamar Neagle, Obafemi Martins and Leo Gonzalez scored second-half goals as the Seattle Sounders beat FC Dallas 3-0 on Saturday to regain the overall Major League Soccer points lead.

Late in the 55th minute, Neagle took a pass from Brad Evans, went toward the left side of the penalty area and drilled a 20-yard shot into the far right corner past goalkeeper Dan Kennedy.

Martins, subbing on in the 61st minute and wearing a facemask to protect a surgically repaired broken nose, made it 2-0 in the 73rd minute with his seventh of the season.

Gonzalez scored in second-half stoppage time to secure a comfortable win and move Seattle to 29 points, one point ahead of D.C. United atop the table. United play at Orlando City on Sunday.

New England Revolution got goals two minutes apart to start the second half as it defeated Chicago Fire 2-0.

After playing a goalless first half, the Revolution won a corner kick in the 48th minute. Chris Tierney sent the ball to the front edge of the 6-yard box, but Andy Dorman’s header floated high toward a wide-open Diego Fagundez. His hard shot went inside the far post to open the scoring.

Two minutes later, Fagundez played a free kick to Teal Bunbury at the top of the 18-yard box. Bunbury fired wide toward the far post and Charlie Davies got his head on the shot to redirect it in.

The victory moves New England to within four points of Eastern Conference leader DC United.

David Villa, Mix Diskerud and Kwadwo Poku scored to lift expansion New York City FC’s to its first back-to-back wins with a 3-1 victory over Montreal.

Villa finished a great team buildup in the 31st minute. A quick two-pass combo from Patrick Mullins and Mehdi Ballouchy led Villa to an open space in the middle of the box, where the former Spain striker made no mistake.

Mix Diskerud put NYCFC up 2-0 in the 76th minute, finishing Poku’s cross low and hard into the left corner.

The Impact got one back on Wandrille Lefevre’s well-timed header off Laurent Ciman’s free kick in the 88th minute. But NYCFC answered in the 90th minute when Poku finished Villa’s cross.

Federico Higuain scored the equalizer in the 66th minute, and the Columbus Crew salvaged a 1-1 draw with the Los Angeles Galaxy after a lightning storm delayed the start of the match for 2 hours, 10 minutes.

Ethan Finlay hurdled Galaxy defender Leonardo to get to Tony Tchani’s entry pass along the right side and cut it diagonally back to Higuain for the finish.

Despite lightning being spotted in the area just moments before kickoff, the Crew attracted the season’s first sellout crowd at expanded capacity (21,051) Mapfre Stadium.

Sebastian Lletget, in his first MLS start, scored in the 14th minute for the Galaxy.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide