- Associated Press - Monday, June 15, 2015

SLEEPY HOLLOW, N.Y. (AP) - A federal jury has awarded over $1 million to a man and his ex-wife who accused a suburban New York police officer of roughing them up.

The Journal News (https://lohud.us/1L9u4Py ) says the case goes back to May 2008 when former Sleepy Hollow detective Jose Quinoy called Mario Gomez to deny Gomez’s suspicion he was having a relationship with his 22-year-old daughter.

Both men claimed the other struck first when Gomez showed up at the police headquarters. Gomez says Quinoy threw him against a car and kicked him in the head while he was handcuffed.

The jury cleared Quinoy of false arrest last week, but found him liable for assault, battery and excessive force.

Quinoy says the jury was likely swayed by the current environment surrounding law enforcement.

___

Information from: The Journal News, https://www.lohud.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide