- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 16, 2015

JEFFERSON, Wis. (AP) - Health officials say a dead bird has tested positive for West Nile virus in Jefferson County.

It’s the first reported case since the county began tracking the virus last month. The virus is transmitted by a bite from an infected mosquito. Health officials say you can cut your risk of an infection by getting rid of standing water on your property and using mosquito repellant.

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services says an estimated 80 percent of people infected with the virus never experience symptoms. Most of the remaining 20 percent will develop symptoms such as fever, headache, muscle pain, a skin rash, swollen lymph nodes and sensitivity to light.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide