- The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The lone suspect arrested in connection with a quadruple D.C. homicide has hired a defense attorney specializing in immigration issues after the federal government flagged him for potential deportation.

Darron Wint appeared in D.C. Superior Court Tuesday for a hearing on the appointment of his new attorney, Sean R. Hanover, whom his family hired to replace the public defenders who had previously represented him. Mr. Wint was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in last month’s killings of a D.C. couple, their 10-year-old child and the family’s housekeeper.

Officials from Immigration and Customs Enforcement previously confirmed that Mr. Wint, who is a citizen of Guyana, could face deportation from the United States if he is convicted.

Mr. Hanover said although Mr. Wint is a lawful permanent resident, he could face deportation on account of the murder charge and said immigration specialist would be advising his client to keep him apprised of his rights.

“Any consequences to any actions of this case are considered in light of immigration law,” Mr. Hanover said following the hearing.

Wearing an orange jumpsuit and with his dreadlocks pulled back into a ponytail, Mr. Wint addressed Judge Rhonda Reid Winston briefly during his hearing to acknowledge that he approved of the appointment of Mr. Hanover to his case. He looked down at the table in front of him or at the judge for most of the hearing, glancing back to survey the courtroom once.

Though police believe others were involved in the crime, Mr. Wint is the only person charged in the May 14 slayings of businessman Savvas Savopoulos; his wife, Amy; their 10-year-old son, Philip; and housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa. The victims were found dead inside the Savopouloses’ multimillion dollar Northwest home by firefighters called to the scene as the house went up in flames. Police said the victims suffered blunt force trauma and stab wounds and had been held captive in the home since the previous night.

Police said $40,000 in cash was delivered to the home by an assistant of Savvas Savopoulos shortly before the fire was set. When Mr. Wint, who was previously identified as Daron Wint, was taken into custody about $10,000 in money orders were found in the vehicle he was riding in.

A preliminary hearing for Mr. Wint was moved to July 2.

Mr. Hanover said he wasn’t able to speak about the details of the case as he had just been appointed but did say his client felt “encouraged about the case.”

“He feels good that justice will be served in the matter,” Mr. Hanover said.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide