- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 2, 2015

MUSKEGON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say a house fire that left two people dead and another injured in western Michigan was caused by an electrical short.

The Muskegon Chronicle and WOOD-TV report 64-year-old Wendy Carlson and her 36-year-old son Aaron Edwards died in the fire, which started in the basement about 2:30 a.m. Friday in Muskegon County’s Muskegon Township. Authorities say they were found unresponsive inside and pronounced dead at the scene.

The sole survivor, Wendy Carlson’s 66-year-old husband Robert Carlson, escaped the burning home. He was treated for smoke inhalation and burns before being released from a hospital.

Fire officials say crews found one smoke detector. They initially said the home should have had more, but noted Monday that more than one wasn’t required and wouldn’t have guaranteed earlier warning of the fire.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide