- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 2, 2015

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Gov. Susana Martinez says more than 2 million meals will be served to low-income children during the summer break.

The free meals are part of a program put on by the state Children, Youth and Families Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Martinez says the summer food program is critical for children who might not otherwise get a meal when school is not in session.

The state continues to be a national leader in providing meals to low-income children. Officials say the Food Research and Action Center has ranked New Mexico the No. 1 state for serving meals over the summer months.

The program has been expanded in recent years. Last year, it served nearly 150,000 more meals than in 2010.

The program is available at more than 650 sites statewide.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide