- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 2, 2015

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - Investigators say a Colorado Springs motel that caught fire, killing a 2-year-old girl and her 4-year-old brother, did not have working smoke detectors.

The Gazette reports (https://goo.gl/TD4Ukl ) the smoke detectors found at the Ranch Motel were more than 10 years old and had no batteries installed. Electrical issues also were found throughout the complex.

The victims - identified Tuesday as 2-year-old Cheyenne Jones and her 4-year-old brother, Wade Jones - died of smoke inhalation after Saturday’s fire. Their mother and a 10-year-old brother also were critically injured.

The motel was built in 1948 and 1949 and it’s unclear if it is compliant with original building codes. Investigators say the unit the family was staying in would not have met current fire codes.


Information from: The Gazette, https://www.gazette.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide