- Associated Press - Monday, June 22, 2015

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, N.C. (AP) - Fire officials say a faulty air conditioner is to blame for a fire at an Ocean Isle Beach kennel in which more than a dozen dogs were killed.

Multiple media outlets report that 13 of the 31 dogs inside Diamond-A-Kennels died in a fire on Sunday night.

Brunswick County Fire Marshal Scott Garner says the dogs that were killed likely were overcome by smoke caused by a malfunctioning air conditioner.

Garner says the owners of the kennel were working to notify the owners of all of the dogs and had contacted a local veterinarian to evaluate the 18 surviving dogs.

Although the kennel is a dog and cat boarding facility, no cats were affected because they are housed in a separate building.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide