- Associated Press - Monday, June 22, 2015

CINCINNATI (AP) - A plan to counter a surge in gun violence in Cincinnati will be delayed following the death of a police officer in a shootout.

The 90-day plan that was set to take effect Sunday was delayed by Chief Jeffrey Blackwell by at least two weeks, the department announced over the weekend. A statement from a police department spokeswoman said the death of Officer Sonny Kim and the need to focus on his services required the delay.

“We’re still going to come to work every day, we haven’t missed any shifts,” Blackwell told WLWT-TV (https://bit.ly/1Lw1Izo ). “We’re grieving, we’re broken-hearted. I think the city is broken-hearted.”

Kim, 48, died Friday after responding to a 911 call. Police say a 21-year-old shot the officer after apparently telling others that he wanted police to kill him. The suspect, Trepierre Hummons, was later shot and killed after another officer arrived.

The 90-day plan calls for more police on patrols, strengthened enforcement of the city’s youth curfew and increased efforts to get guns off the streets. When the plan was announced June 10, police said shootings were up 28 percent over the same period last year.

A main part of the plan includes a redeployment of police that will add between 24 to 27 officers per shift to street patrols on some days, with traffic personnel assigned to help the five police districts on Friday and Saturday nights. The plan also designates curfew enforcement centers at two churches.

“It’s just not the right time to introduce more stress to our police officers by changing their work schedules and some of their assignments,” Blackwell said.

Kim is the first Cincinnati police officer killed on duty in 15 years. Visitation and funeral services will be held Thursday and Friday.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide