- Associated Press - Monday, June 22, 2015

BAY SHORE, N.Y. (AP) - Authorities say 11 people were hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak at a Long Island apartment building.

Bay Shore Fire Chief John Ippolito Jr. tells Newsday (https://nwsdy.li/1K5PgHH ) that firefighters responded to the building Sunday morning for an activated carbon monoxide detector at the Stone Water Gardens apartment complex.

Ippolito says firefighters’ carbon monoxide meters “jumped up” beyond normal levels when they went in the building.

About 30 residents were evacuated. Ippolito says six adults and five children were hospitalized with injuries that aren’t life-threatening after they displayed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Investigators say the leak came from a basement boiler. Firefighters worked for more than two hours to clear the building of carbon monoxide.

Residents were allowed to return around 2 p.m.

___

Information from: Newsday, https://www.newsday.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide