- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 23, 2015

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A St. Paul man has filed suit against the Boy Scouts of America, claiming his scoutmaster repeatedly sexually abused him when he was between 12 and 16.

Jim McDonough’s lawsuit alleges the abuse happened between 1967 and 1971 at the hands of Leland “Lee” Opalinski, who died last year. The lawsuit announced Tuesday names the Boy Scouts and its Northern Star Council as defendants.

The Associated Press does not routinely name alleged victims of sexual abuse, but McDonough chose to come forward.

Northern Star Council Kent York said the organization learned of allegations against Opalinski in 1971, and immediately removed him from the organization. He says the organization has taken multiple steps to prevent child abuse.

McDonough is chairman of the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners. He filed his lawsuit under a law that gives adult survivors of child sexual abuse a three-year window to file claims. He claims the Boy Scouts had “perversion files” on alleged pedophiles, and allowed some to continue as scout leaders. McDonough wants the Boy Scouts to release these files.

Public files on Opalinski show he pleaded guilty in 1971 to “indecent liberties” with a 14-year-old boy.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide