- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 24, 2015

DETROIT (AP) - A plan announced last year to seize drug houses from their owners hasn’t resulted in any properties being confiscated.

Mayor Mike Duggan, police Chief James Craig and City Council members Brenda Jones and Andre Spivey announced the program last July. Under the plan, two drug raids at a property could lead to a request to award title of the properties to the Detroit Land Bank.

The Detroit News reports (https://bit.ly/1fA90bd ) there have been 339 properties raided under the program, including 19 targeted a second time. The newspaper says the city has reached consent agreements with the owners of three of the properties to keep them drug-free.

Other cases are tied up in court. Duggan says, however, that the small number of cases brought “is an indication the program is working.”

___

Information from: The Detroit News, https://detnews.com/

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide