- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 24, 2015

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Sen. Charles Schumer has introduced legislation aimed at protecting people from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The New York Democrat says the legislation he’s co-sponsoring would allow the Consumer Product Safety Commission to provide support for public safety education and encourage installation of carbon monoxide detectors.

Schumer says he became aware of the issue after a western New York teenager died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Amanda Hansen of West Seneca, near Buffalo, lost her life in January 2009 while sleeping over at a friend’s house that didn’t have a detector.

The Centers for Disease Control says carbon monoxide poisoning kills about 400 Americans each year and sends another 20,000 to emergency rooms. Most of the cases occur during the winter months of December, January and February.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide