- Associated Press - Friday, June 26, 2015

BEND, Ore. (AP) - Health officials are warning people to avoid contact with water in Central Oregon’s Lake Billy Chinook, where potentially harmful concentrations of blue-green algae and its toxins have been detected.

The Bulletin reports (https://bit.ly/1FFmxTN) the advisory issued Thursday by the Oregon Health Authority says drinking the water is especially dangerous.

Residents who use water from the lake in their homes are being advised to find a different source.

People should seek immediate medical attention if exposure to the toxins causes numbness, tingling, dizziness, difficulty breathing or heart problems.

Officials say the area is still open for waterless recreational activities like camping or birdwatching.

People who choose to eat fish from the lake should remove fat and organs, where toxins are likely to collect.

Boaters should prevent inhalation of airborne particles by keeping to speeds that don’t create excessive water spray.

____

This version corrects the location of Lake Billy Chinook. It is in Central Oregon.

___

Information from: The Bulletin, https://www.bendbulletin.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide