- Associated Press - Sunday, June 28, 2015

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Heading into the final 15 minutes of the game, it shaping up to be an intense finish between Cascadia Cup rivals Portland and Seattle.

Fanendo Adi needed just 3 minutes to blow open the game.

Scoring in the 74th and 76th minutes, the Portland forward led the Timbers to a 4-1 victory Sunday - their second in 12 days over the Sounders.

Portland mascot Timber Joey celebrates goals by using a chainsaw to cut off a slab of a huge log. After the second goal, Adi decided he wanted to give it a try himself, running over, grabbing the saw and mimicking cutting off his own slab for what he says was an impromptu celebration.

“It just came into my head to go take the chainsaw and do something,” Adi said.

On the go-ahead goal, Darlington Nagbe shrugged off a defender to carry the ball toward the net and passed to Adi near the penalty spot. The forward sent a one-time shot curling past diving goalkeeper Stefan Frei and into the upper right corner.

Two minutes later, Adi struck again. He dribbled into the Seattle box and ripped a low shot past Frei for his eighth goal of the season. It was his seventh multi-goal game since joining Portland in May 2014.

Nagbe opened the scoring for Portland (8-6-4) in the 12th minute with his first goal of the season. He ran onto a pass from Diego Valeri, dribbled a few strides, and blasted a 25-yarder inside the left post.

Seattle (9-7-2) tied it in the 38th minute, with Lamar Neagle volleying a side-footed shot past goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey for his fourth goal of the season.

Rodney Wallace capped the scoring in second-half stoppage time. He took a pass from Maximiliano Urruti near the top of the box and placed a shot into the upper left corner for his first goal of the season.

“We got Rodney’s first goal, and Darlington’s first goal. It’s great to have the wingers chipping in,” Portland coach Caleb Porter said.

Seattle was missing several key players. Obafemi Martins and Osvaldo Alonso were out due to injury, and Clint Dempsey served the final game of his three-game suspension for his actions in the U.S. Open Cup. But even with those absences, Seattle coach Sigi Schmid expected more from his team, especially after Portland scored its second goal.

“I’m extremely disappointed in our reaction,” Schmid said. “The scoreline was, to me, a little deceiving, but it’s our fault, because in this particular case, we didn’t have the character and we allowed ourselves to get deflated at 2-1. 3-1 shouldn’t have happened.”



Click to Read More

Click to Hide