- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 3, 2015

BOSTON (AP) - A Boston man convicted in the 1995 shooting death of a Boston police detective is free on bail for the first time since his arrest 22 years ago.

Sean Ellis was released on $50,000 bail Wednesday as he awaits a new trial. After his release, Ellis thanked the judge, his family and supporters “who stood by me.”

Last month, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Carol Ball ruled Ellis was entitled to a new trial in the death of Detective John Mulligan.

Ball said Ellis didn’t get a fair trial because two detectives who played key roles in the investigation later pleaded guilty to corruption charges. She also said police and prosecutors didn’t provide Ellis’ original defense team with all the evidence he was entitled to, including federal and police reports suggesting others had reasons to kill Mulligan.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide