- Associated Press - Saturday, June 6, 2015

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A new “dual admission” program has been developed for students to take courses at New Hampshire community colleges then transfer to state colleges and universities to earn a bachelor’s degree.

Students can enroll for the fall 2015 semester at any of New Hampshire’s seven community colleges and be jointly admitted to pathway programs at the University of New Hampshire, Plymouth State University, UNH-Manchester, Keene State College and Granite State College. Advisers will work with each student to map out a course of study.

Students will first earn an associate degree at a community college. And if they maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average and meet the program requirements, they could continue at the university system to pursue a bachelor’s degree.

Students are considered dually admitted and will have access to campus events at both institutions.

The program was piloted in the 2014 academic year between Great Bay Community College and UNH, with 25 students signed up.

Gates MacPherson, an Exeter High School graduate who was accepted by six four-year colleges and universities, chose instead to start at Great Bay, knowing she could complete her education at UNH.

“As far as financial options go, starting at Great Bay made the most sense. I am able to really decide what I want to do without spending so much money,” McPherson said.


Online: www.dualnh.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide