- Associated Press - Saturday, June 6, 2015

MILWAUKEE (AP) - A 27-year-old man is accused of abusing a 3-year-old autistic boy who died two days after police found him with at least 11 bite marks, multiple bruises and brain swelling.

Maurice Snyder, of Milwaukee, was charged Friday with 13 counts of physical abuse of a child and one count of child neglect, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (https://bit.ly/1Qzj7bD). The boy’s mother, Megan Scott, 24, is charged with failure to act to prevent bodily harm to a child.

Aiden Archer died Wednesday, after being on life support since Monday when police were called to the house.

Both are heroin addicts, and police found needles in their bedroom, the complaint says.

Prosecutors expect to file an amended charge of first-degree intentional homicide against Snyder once the cause of death is confirmed.

Neither suspect had an attorney listed in online court records. Both were jailed Saturday.

According to the complaint, after lunch on Monday, Scott, Snyder and Aiden were in the bedroom. Scott heard a sound as if Snyder kicked Aiden, who immediately began to cry.

Scott said she asked Snyder why he did that and he answered, “Sorry, buddy,” according to the complaint.

After that she took a shower and could hear a “boom” sound and Aiden crying over the running water, the complaint said. When she came back to the bedroom, Snyder complained his hand hurt.

Late in the afternoon, Aiden went to the backyard with dried blood and scratches on his neck. A friend’s mother saw him and told Scott to call 911 or take Aiden to a hospital.

Scott did neither, according to the complaint.

Instead, she left to charge her cellphone at a nearby business. By the time she returned, police squad cars had surrounded the house.

Meanwhile, at the house, Scott’s friend made a bonfire and knocked on the bedroom door to ask if the boy wanted to come outside.

The friend told police he saw the boy lying face up on the floor with his eyes closed. He thought the boy was dead.

The friend picked up the boy, but Snyder grabbed the child from him. The friend wanted to call 911 immediately, but Snyder told him to “hang on” to see if he could do anything, the complaint said.

The friend went to a neighbor’s house and called 911.


Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, https://www.jsonline.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide