- Associated Press - Sunday, June 7, 2015

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - The family of a man shot and killed by Albuquerque police after he brandished a pair of knives is suing the city.

Attorney Frances Crockett Carpenter, who is representing the estate of Vincent Wood, filed a wrongful death suit last month.

Two officers shot the 66-year-old Vietnam Veteran in July 2013 in a gas station parking lot.


TOP STORIES
Student says teacher yanked 'Women for Trump' pin off chest, files police report: 'It's not OK'
Donald Trump Jr. rips Time for 'marketing gimmick' after Greta Thunberg named Person of the Year
AOC says 'white supremacist sympathizer' Tucker Carlson is keeping her from going on Fox News


Carpenter says police reports show the department had previously interacted with Wood several times and knew he was mentally ill.

In the suit, she says officers should have waited for a crisis intervention officer or tried non-lethal methods to subdue him.



An autopsy report found Wood was shot nine times.

The suit is asking for damages in excess of $25,000.

Police declined to comment, citing a policy not to discuss pending litigation.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide