PAULSBORO, N.J. (AP) - More than a dozen students at a southern New Jersey high school and some staffers were taken to hospitals after they were overcome by fumes in the building.
It’s not clear what caused the problem Wednesday at Paulsboro High School. But officials were trying to determine if the fumes were caused by a neighboring refinery that has been dealing with odor issues this week.
Paulsboro authorities say about 16 students and two teachers were treated at hospitals, mostly for headaches, blurry eyes and other issues. But their injuries were not considered serious, and most of them had been released by late Wednesday afternoon.
The high school closed early due to the ongoing situation, but the building was aired out and deemed safe again by Wednesday afternoon.
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.