- Associated Press - Tuesday, March 24, 2015

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A Columbus fire official says careless smoking was likely the cause of the apartment fire last week that resulted in the death of a 55-year-old woman.

Patricia Neihoff died Saturday at a hospital after being found unconscious in the apartment fire early on March 17.

The Columbus Dispatch (https://bit.ly/1C5mLVW ) reports that sprinklers had extinguished the blaze in her apartment, which had been started by a lighted cigarette left on a chair.

Investigators say the battery in Niehoff’s smoke detector had either been removed or disconnected.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide