- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 25, 2015

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The family of an 11-year-old boy is suing the Publix grocery chain, saying the child was allergic to nuts and died from a severe reaction after eating a cookie despite a worker’s assurance it was safe.

The lawsuit says Derek Landon Wood of Alabama died in June 2014 shortly after eating a chocolate chip cookie purchased at a Publix store in Clarksville. The boy, who was visiting family in Tennessee, was allergic to tree nuts. The lawsuit, which was filed March 20, says the store bakery did not post warnings about ingredients or possible cross-contamination, and the mother bought the cookie only after a worker assured her it was safe.

A Publix spokeswoman declined to comment on the litigation but said in an email that the company posts allergen information at its bakeries.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide